- What are the perks of being a PSHS scholar?
Aside from receiving a globally-competitive education, specialized in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), a PSHS scholar is immersed in special programs such as:
- 1.1Science Immersion Program (scholars experience working in the real-world such as in science and technology (S&T) institutions and industries, here and abroad), and
- 1.2SCALE program (stands for Service, Creativity, Action, and Leadership Program; scholars are engaged in non-STEM fields to develop them into well-rounded individuals and to balance / complement the intensive STEM curriculum).
Scholars are also given a chance to join national and international events / competitions where they can exhibit and hone their globally-competitive skills.
- Who are the notable alumni of PSHS?
To mention a few, we have Dr. Reynaldo B. Vea, from the pioneer batch of PSHS and the first PSHS Valedictorian. Dr. Vea is currently the President of the Mapua University, one of the top universities in the country.
General Hermogenes C. Esperon, Jr., our country’s National Security Adviser and Director General.
We also have Dr. Reinabelle Reyes, an astrophysicist with a doctorate degree from Princeton University. Dr. Reyes, together with a team from Princeton, supported Albert Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity by studying the galaxies.
Dr. Edsel Maurice T. Salvaña, an Infectious Diseases Physician and famous for advocating HIV awareness in the country, is a PSHS alumnus. Currently, he is working in UP Manila.
Then, joining the roster, Dr. Maria Corazon A. De Ungria, currently the Head of the DNA Analysis Laboratory in UP Diliman.
Our very own Dr. Rowena Cristina Guevara, currently the DOST Undersecretary for Research and Development, is the first female Dean of the College of Engineering of UP Diliman.
Lastly, Atom Araullo, a famous journalist in the country.
- Do PSHS scholars get allowances?
Yes. PSHS scholars receive monthly allowances, rates vary based on socio-economic status of the scholar:
|(in Philippine Peso)||Full||Partial 1||Partial 2||Partial 3|
|Total Grant per Month||4,000.00||3,500.00||2,500.00||500.00|
Scholars also avail of free loan of textbooks and may stay at residence halls in the campus. Priority is given to those living far from the campus.
- How can one become a PSHS scholar?
Every year, the PSHS conducts the National Competitive Examination (NCE), a one-time screening examination to determine the qualifiers for PSHS scholarship. The NCE is a scholastic aptitude test that will assess the applicant’s aptitude in Science, Math, Language, and Abstract Reasoning. Qualifiers for PSHS scholarship are those who earned high scores in NCE.
We also have a lateral examination for incoming Grades 8 and 9 students. However, this is a different activity and this usually happens in the second quarter of the year.
The NCE is for incoming Grade 7 students only. The PSHS is now accepting applicants for this year’s NCE, which will be held on 19 October 2019.
- What are the eligibility requirements?
A grade 6 elementary pupil, from a duly recognized school by the Department of Education who meets the following criteria, is eligible to apply for NCE:
He / She must:
- have a final grade of 85% or better in Science and Mathematics, evidenced by the student’s report card. If the student’s grades in Science or Math are below 85%, then, he/she must provide evidence that he/she belongs to the upper 10% of the batch;
- be a Filipino citizen with no pending or approved application as immigrant to any foreign country;
- be born on or after August 1, 2005;
- have at least a satisfactory rating (or its equivalent) in his/her Character Rating in his/her report card (SY 2018 - 2019);
- not have taken the PSHS NCE previously; and
- preferably, be in good health and fit to undergo a rigorous academic program.
- What are the application requirements?
- Fully accomplished Application Form in two (2)copies
- Two (2) identical recent 1x1 ID pictures
- Non-refundable test fee (Php 100 for private schools, free for public schools)
- Certified true copy of report card (SY 2018 - 2019) by the class adviser / principal
- If the final grades in Science or Math are below 85%, certification or proof that the child belongs to the upper 10% of the batch
- Where can we get a copy of the application form?
The application form may be downloaded from www.pshs.edu.ph, or you may get it from any PSHS campuses and DOST or Provincial Science and Technology offices near you. Application form is free of charge.
- Up to when can we submit the application?
Deadline for submission of application is on 13 September 2019.
- Who and Where can we submit the application?
Parents or guardians of the interested applicant may submit the application to any PSHS campuses, and DOST / Provincial S&T offices. The application form and attached documents are evaluated immediately upon submission. If the application is approved, your parent / guardian may proceed with the payment.
- How many applicants are accepted to PSHS every year?
In PSHS Main Campus in Diliman, Quezon City -240 NCE qualifiers are accepted per year. In four regional campuses: (1) Central Luzon Campus in Clark Freeport Zone; (2) CALABARZON Region Campus in Batangas City; (3) Western Visayas Campus in Iloilo; and (4) Southern Mindanao Campus in Davao City —120 NCE qualifiers are accepted per campus. For the rest of the regional campuses, 90 NCE qualifiers are accepted per campus.
- When and How are you going to notify the applicants who qualified to enroll?
Results are usually released in December. The list of principal qualifiers per PSHS campus will be posted on our official website: www.pshs.edu.ph and published in national newspaper. Results will also be available in all PSHS campuses around the country.